Good Guys Today
In The News
Like You Wish!
Radio Tribute Sites
space provided by:
above to hear more vintage broadcast radio airchecks from the
Reel Radio Repository.
tax-deductible contribution to
will help keep this site online
site is in no way affiliated with WPGC Radio
today, or with
CBS Radio, Inc.
above to visit WPGC today.
Dedicated in memory
(WBUZ-FM) 1947 - 1950
Southern Avenue, Bradbury Heights, MD
was first located above the Washington, Marlboro &
Annapolis (WM&A) bus passenger facility at 1510
Southern Ave. in Bradbury Heights, MD, across the street
from the DC line.
1973, the WM&A bus line was absorbed by Metrobus
which still operates a large bus depot on the very same property.
When the Green line
of Metrorail was extended into PG County, the
site was an obvious choice for a subway station. Ironically,
the line ends a few stops later at Greenbelt,
directly next to where
WPGC was located from 1980 - 2000.
irony of this photo from 2006 of a Metrobus having
a WPGC billboard on its side (albeit with Donnie Simpson)
as it pulls in to the very spot where WBUZ-FM
was originally located above the WM&A bus terminal
over half a century earlier is extreme!
/ WRNC-FM) 1950 - 1954
Southern Avenue, Coral Hills, MD
1950, WBUZ-FM moved a few
miles down the road to the WM&A bus repair facility
Southern Ave. on the border of SE, DC & Coral Hills, MD.
In 1954, it moved again to the transmitter site which had relocated
from the WM&A passenger terminal at 1510
in Bradbury Heights to 6369
Walker Mill Road in Oakland, MD.
of the building as it appears today. When Metrobus
tookover the facility from the WM&A Bus Line in
1973, it was cleaned up quite a bit.
up of the front doors. The one to the right led upstairs to
a building now over 60 years old, it's in remarkably good
of the building. Metrobus still uses the facility as
a bus repair depot. The studios were located on the second
floor where the windows Harv refers to are.
Moore, 'the boy next door' writes:
Our studios were in SE Washington in the WM&A bus
repair facility...in the spring they would paint the buses
(orange and black), and the paint fumes would drift in the
windows of our studios. Listen
to Harv Moore & a listener from WXTR talk about it.
April, 1954 - 1956
Kelly Ct., Morningside, MD
exact spot of the original WPGC-AM studios / transmitter /
tower site from 1954 - 1956 seen in the red
dot above is on the Morningside
/ District Heights border on Dottie Kelly Court off Anton
Dr., off Walters Lane. Respecting the privacy of the residents,
the actual street address is not given here.
the aid of a U.S. Geological Survey map from 1950, the paved
and dirt roads leading to the site still exist (though all
are now paved), directly in the heart of a residential development
that sits on the farm once owned by Duval
B. Evans, whom WPGC founder, Harry
Hayman leased the land for the station.
data collected from the FCC's Official Records at the National
Archives in College Park, the exact latitudinal (38° 50'
29") and longitudinal (76° 53' 31") coordinates
of the original site from 1954-56 has been located with the
use of GPS technology. The house above literally sits on the
precise spot where the 150' tower once stood.
site was abandoned in 1956 when WPGC-AM moved into the studio
space previously occupied by WRNC-FM (formerly, WBUZ-FM)
Southern Ave. in
Coral Hills were it stayed until being evicted by the WM&A
bus line in June, 1965.
- October, 1980
5801 Annapolis Road, Bladensburg,
(301) 779 - 2100
1965, WPGC - AM & FM were evicted from the Washington,
Marlboro & Annapolis (WM&A) bus line repair facility
Southern Ave. in Coral Hills, MD.
The station frantically searched for office space in Morningside,
but little was available because of its predominantly residential
and office space was secured in a brand new development at the
intersection of Annapolis Road (Rt. 450) and the Baltimore-Washington
Parkway. Initially, the FCC objected to the stations moving
significantly further away from Morningside but relented when
it was demonstrated how easily accessible the new location was
from both the BW Parkway and the Beltway.
Parkway Building was located near the intersection
of Annapolis Road & the Baltimore Washington
sad state of the building in 2002. By the mid 80's, the inside
had been gutted in an apparent renovation which was never
completed. The driveway leading up the hill to the rear of
the building was on the left.
up of the main entrance. The elevator to the upper levels
was along the back wall, directly in a straight line from
the front door above.
back of the building wasn't in much better condition. Because
it was built into the side of a hill, you would enter from
the back door at a floor higher than that as accessed from
the front. The driveway going down the hill to the front of
the building was located on the right, paralleling Annapolis
building was demolished in the Spring of 2004.
up of what had been the front entrance of the building.
concrete barrier is in the same spot as above in 2002.
that an old tape cartridge in the rubble?!
from top of the hill behind the now gone building.
barren property the way it looked prior to construction.
if the neighbors knew who had been next door?
second building in the rear is also gone now.
to Skip McCloskey of the WRC
tribute site (who as a teenager won too many contests to mention
from WPGC and picked up his prizes in the Parkway Building)
for the demolition photos above.
1980 - Summer 2000
Ivy Road, Suite
(301) 441 - 3500
entrance. This was the first of several identical buildings
to be constructed in the early '80's. All are still in use
of the building as seen from the parking lot. The station
moved to Lanham in the Summer of 2000.
The space once occupied by the station is now used by a legal
of building facing the Beltway. The studios were on the top
(8th) floor. From left to right, they included: Business Offices,
Production Studio #3, Production Studio #2, the News / Production
Studio, the On Air Studio, the Jock Lounge, Engineering &
This non-profit historical site
is not affiliated in any way with WPGC Radio today or CBS Radio,
Inc. Use of copyrighted material is consistent with the "fair
use" provisions contained in §107 of the Copyright Act
of 1976 due to the following characteristics: Use of copyrighted
material is of a nonprofit, educational nature, intended for the
sole purposes of research and comment and does not significantly
negatively affect "the potential market for or value of the
copyrighted work(s)." Use of registered trademark material
is not subject to civil action or injunction as outlined in §1114
and §1125 of the Trademark Act of 1946 (the Lanham Act) due
to the following characteristics of this work, and the registered
marks published herein: Use of reproductions of registered marks
is not for the purpose of commerce, nor is the use connected with
the sale, offering for sale, or advertising of any goods or services.
Use of reproductions is not likely to cause confusion, mistake,
or deception as to the affiliation, connection, or association of
this work with owners of published registered marks, nor as to the
origin, sponsorship, or approval of this work by owners of published
registered marks. Wherever possible, the copyright or registered
mark owner's name has been noted near the copyrighted work or registered
mark; however, all material used in this site, including, but not
limited to, newspaper articles, syndicated themes, promos, commercials,
photographs, playlists, press releases, ratings, airchecks, newscasts,
traffic reports, sports reports, 'sound-offs', sweepers, bumperstickers
and station logos, should be considered protected copyrighted material
or registered mark with all rights reserved to the owner, named
or unnamed. So there!